Another New Year's Meme. I enjoy keeping track, tallying up the scores, making lists, reminiscing. I am not as talented with it as Molly, however, who provides a list every month. So, I turn to memes instead, easy ways of summarizing and looking forward. This one is different (though not a lot) from last year's, so hopefully I won't repeat myself.
1. Will you be looking for a new job? I am committed to my current job for a while, I believe, but I am never willing to dismiss the idea that we might up and move if necessary.
2. Will you be looking for a new relationship? I'm always seeking new friendships, of course, but I am eternally happy in the romantic relationship I enjoy daily.
3. New house? I look constantly for fun, but I think we'll be here for another few years before we move.
4. What will you do differently in 09? Hmmmm...I will make small changes I'm sure; things like cooking, time management, and sleeping (I don't get enough) are easily tweaked until satisfactory.
5. New Years resolution? This year I resolve to both keep off the weight I shed in 08 and to lose even more. We were joking at WW about how many people will be joining us the first week of the new year, and indeed, weight loss is a very trite resolution, but it is nonetheless important to me.
6. What will you not be doing in 09? Hard to say. I'm open to most things.
7. Any trips planned? None, actually, which is remarkable considering the traveling I've done this past year (Arkansas, Dallas, New York, South Dakota, BWCA, and most recently, Jamaica). We will maybe venture to visit more people: Anne and Josh in OH? Les and Jonathon in AR? Angie in CA? Jen in TX? Val and Mike in MI? Dave and Abby in IL? People keep moving away, so our vacations could easily focus on them. 2010 already hold an international vacation, so we'll have that to look forward to all year as well.
8. Wedding plans? Not my own, of course, but this year Radley and Kelly, David and Nicole, and a cousin of mine are all getting married (so far, that I know of).
9. Major thing on your calendar? May 3rd and June 11th: due dates of my friends Kristin and Jessica, respectively. I am very excited for these wonderful women who will make even more wonderful mothers.
10. What can’t you wait for? See question 9
11. What would you like to see happen differently? Hopefully, our entire nation will experience a shift like we've never felt before. With Obama's election, hope really has been brought back to this country. I can't wait to see everything happen differently under our new leader. I realized after Nov. 4th, I've spent my entire adult life under GWB's leadership. I remember vaguely Clinton's presidency during my middle and high school years, but I was mostly unaware of how it affected me. Now, with a wonderful new man to take the reins, I wait with bated breath for the change that is sure to come.
12. What about yourself will you be changing? My waistline, I hope :-). I am also focusing on being a more patient person. I believe I'm doing well, but I'm sure I have a long way to go.
13. What happened in 08 that you didn’t think would ever happen? Sadly, I had little faith that our nation would elect a black president. I've never been happier to be wrong. Never been prouder to call myself an American. God bless Obama.
14. Will you be nicer to the people you care about? I always try to be as nice as possible. I will strive to be nicer to my students. Less sarcasm and all that.
15. Will you dress differently this year than you did in 08? Smaller sizes, I hope :-).
16. Will you start or quit drinking? No, I am quite content with my drinking level.
17. Will you better your relationship with your family? It's good and difficult at the same time and I doubt it will change much in 2009.
18. Will you do charity work? Yes. I definitely need to volunteer more than I do. I am becoming one of those people who writes checks instead of gives time. One should always do both.
19. Will you go to bars? I rarely do, actually, and I don't think that will change much. With a husband who doesn't drink, it's easy to avoid bars.
20. Will you be nice to people you don’t know? I think I'm already nice to people I don't know, but I will go out of my way to help others.
21. Do you expect 09 to be a good year for you? I expect every year to be a good year for me. Set your expectations high and enjoy living up to them.
22. How much did you change from this time last year till now? That is a very hard question to answer. I believe all my changes are for the better, though. I am a better teacher, a better wife, a better friend; I am more fit, more educated, more available.
23. Do you plan on having a child? Yes, but probably not in 09 :-).
24. Will you still be friends with the same people you are friends with now? Yes, of course, but it continues to get harder as people keep moving away!!!
25. Major lifestyle changes? Nothing major I can think of. We will try, however, like the rest of the nation, to be more thrifty as we approach another year of financial crisis.
26. Will you move? Probably not, but you never know.
27. What will you make sure doesn’t happen in 09 that happened in 08? I don't believe I have the power to make sure things don't happen, but I will do my best to prevent all bad things from happening.
28. What are your New Years Eve plans? Another NYE date with Heather and Travas. Last year we stayed in; this year, I think we'll go out and paint the town. Or at least go out to dinner and to a club of some sort. Anyone available to join us?
30. One wish for 09? Peace on Earth and goodwill to all people? Too much? I wish for daily pleasures like stretching, cuddling with the dogs, cooking with my husband, fresh fruit in bright colors, a good book and a quilt, hot chocolate with marshmallows, text messages (or handwritten notes in Molly's case) from friends, smiles, hot baths, board games, and other happy things.
Happy New Year, all! Farewell to 2008. I tag Leslie, Bonnie, Jen, and Heather to also complete this meme, because none of them write on their blogs often enough (less frequently even than me!).