Thursday, August 28, 2008

Connected

If you haven't read my blog from yesterday, do so first. I'll wait. Go on.

Okay. My mom doesn't read my blog. I think she's heard me mention it, but I don't think she knows what a blog is. Needless to say, she hadn't read my latest post. Last night, however, she sent the email below to some friends and family. Am I my mother's daughter or what?

"I have watched every moment of the Democratic National Convention. Never before have I been so moved. When I was 12 or 13, I watched because my daddy watched when Nixon and Kennedy squared off. I also watched my daddy cry when we lost our Camelot president fall. This election has brought to my mind the incredible history that people of my generation have been so privileged, and so sorry, to have experienced. Brutal killings of our heroes. Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and, yes, John Lennon. The incredible losses of 9/11. Needless deaths of our people who offered us hope.The immense losses of our boys in Viet Nam. This year's presidential election offers a scenario that I truly never believed would happen in my lifetime. A woman with a chance to be president of the greatest nation in the world! An African-American man poised to be voted the leader of a country which once, not so long ago, didn't find him worthy to eat in their diner or drink from their fountain.

I have actually heard, out of the mouths of people I thought I knew, that their problem with Barrack Obama is his name! Are you kidding me? Guess what? His middle name is Hussein. That's not his fault, people. And he is what we need. A man with a history of what it's like to be needy in America.He now has way more than the American dream...I'm pretty sure his girls won't want for much, but I'll bet that they take nothing for granted."

3 comments:

Heather said...

I too have cried several times this week while listening and watching the convention; for some of the same reasons but also from my lack of confidence in the candiate chosen. Alas, I am a party voter and believer...this fall will be long...

- Heather

Heather said...

Yes- I know I have typos in my last post.

Heather said...

Okay- after hearing Obama's speech tonight, I feel more confident!!!