Wednesday, November 21, 2007

always Thankful

"You guys ever wonder why they call it THANKSgiving?" --Joey, Friends

Well, for the thanks, of course. Although I appreciate the small and large things in my life for which I can be thankful every day of the year, I do so love this one special day. Despite the fact that it's more about food than gratitude, I love the warmth and joy of the occasion. Only a small contingency of my family will celebrate together tomorrow, but the ritualistic qualities of baking pies, making the drive, and playing Scrabble with my mom and aunt are incredibly comforting. Later this evening I will roll out the pastry I made yesterday, then fill it with pumpkin and apples, both fruits hand cut and frozen earlier this year. I feel more traditional and proud of things when I make them from scratch, like these pies. Yet, I don't hesitate to enjoy convenience when necessary. I am thankful for convenience and for tradition.

Two Thanksgivings to enjoy once married. Saturday we'll venture to southwestern Minnesota for a couple of days "on the farm". The large celebrations that occur three times a year in my husband's family are still something I'm getting used to. Nieces and nephews, sisters and brothers in law, dogs, parents, and ridiculous amounts of food. Small families like mine are barely comparable to a large sprawling family like my husband's. There are no moments alone, no hiding, yet it is lovingly cozy. Families all have problems, and his is not without, but I feel honored and special to be a part of all of it.

I am thankful for my husband's family, my family. My family of friends who hold their arms open. My dogs, for they are family, too. My students and colleagues, a different kind of family, but I am thankful for their presence in my life also. Thankful doesn't begin to describe how I feel about my husband. Thankful for the (mostly) healthy life God has given me today.

Thankful to you for reading my blog.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I'm thankful that I will know someone in my possible future 'neighborhood'.

:)

Anonymous said...

Heather said:

I am thankful for leftovers!

Medea Zorba said...

Upon reading your comments, I got very confused. "Did I comment on this from the past?" I wondered.

Then I remembered my name shows up as Medea Zorba on comments, and that you know another Angie now. So I'm going back to lurk-mode.